There are four versions of the AdderView CATX4000 products, of which two have IP ports for external access with a VNC Viewer.
AdderView CATx (non-IP)
- AVX4016 - up to 16x Computers
- AVX4024 - up to 24x Computers
AdderView CATx IP
- AVX4016IP - up to 16x Computers.
- AVX4024IP - up to 16x Computers
When upgrading a non-IP version, only one upgrade file is required. However, for the IP version, it has two sets of hardware, one is the mainboard that is common to both versions and an additional module for handling the IP access.
- If you have a non-IP CATX4000, then you only need to follow Part 1 of the upgrade process.
- If you have a the CATx IP then you need to follow upgrade Parts 1 and 2.
The AdderView CATx and CATx IP units are fully reconfigurable via flash upgrades, as are the individual Computer Access Modules that are used to link all host computers. AdderView CATx models and Computer Access Modules require a Windows-based computer system to be linked via the COM1/UPGRADE port.
The upgrade program rewrites the AdderView CATx firmware code. If the upgrade process is interrupted then the AdderView CATx will have invalid code and will not be able to operate. It is therefore good practice to ensure that the upgrade process is always fully completed. A partial or failed upgrade may be rectified by performing another upgrade. If the upgrade process is interrupted accidentally then you should immediately repeat the upgrade process without moving switch 1 from the upgrade (ON) position. Switch 1 forces the AdderView
CATx into flash upgrade mode and prevents the upgraded code from being run. Running faulty or partially upgraded code may have unpredictable results and may damage your AdderView CATx or computing equipment.
WARNING: Running faulty or partially upgraded code may have unpredictable results and may damage your AdderView CATx or computing equipment.
This should be applied to both the IP and non-IP variants for the product. If you have the IP version, this update should be applied first and then proceed to upgrade the IP module (part 2).
- The KVM Firmware Uploader utility, this is supplied within v2.5 the firmware upgrade package.
- Supplied serial upgrade cable
- A Windows-based upgrade computer with an RS232 serial port.
- Power off the AdderView CATx and select flash upgrade mode. Remove the power supply plug(s) from the rear panel of the AdderView CATx and move option switch 1 on the back of the AdderView CATx to the ON position (down).
- Connect the upgrade computer to the AdderView CATx. Connect the upgrade computer to the COM1/UPGRADE port on the rear panel of the AdderView CATx unit using the supplied upgrade cable. You do not need to set the serial baud rate and protocol because the upgrade program will do this automatically
- Power on the AdderView CATx. Attach the power adapter to the AdderView CATx. The USER display should now show which indicates that the AdderView CATx is ready to be upgraded.
- Run the KVM Firmware Uploader utility From that folder, select the KVMUploader icon to run the upgrade utility. The KVM Firmware Uploader dialog will be displayed:
- Query the AdderView CATx unit. Click the Query Unit button to confirm that communication is possible with the AdderView CATx and to establish the firmware details of the main unit and all connected CAMs.
Note: The computer to which each CAM is connected must be powered before the respective CAM can be accessed.
Note: AdderView CATx units in lower levels of cascade links (and their respective CAMs) cannot be queried or upgraded while remaining in the cascade arrangement.
If the application cannot contact the AdderView CATx, re-check the connection cable and click the Advanced... button to check that the correct serial port is being used. Change the serial port within the Advanced section, if necessary.
The results of the unit query will be displayed in the Device/Dongle Selection dialog:
The type and firmware revision of each discovered CAM will be displayed alongside the port number to which it is connected.
- Select the items to be upgraded
- Using the Device/Dongle Selection dialog you can determine which items should receive a firmware upgrade:
- Use the Program / Verify Main Unit option to include or exclude the AdderView CATx unit itself.
- Use the Select All CAMs option to upgrade every discovered CAM.
- Use the Select All USB / PS2 / Sun CAMs options to upgrade only CAMs of a certain type.
- Use the individual port options to select particular CAM devices to upgrade.
- When the required options have been selected, click OK.
Note: Approximate upgrade times are: AdderView CATx unit = 4½ minutes; each selected CAM = 20 seconds.
- Select the upgrade file to be used
From the main KVM Firmware Uploader dialog, click the Browse... button and select the upgrade file that is appropriate to your AdderView CATx unit:
- AdderView CATx/IP 16 port: AD_CAT16.TXT
- AdderView CATx/IP 24 port: AD_CAT24.TXT
- The upgrade file details will be displayed within the dialog.
IMPORTANT: Check that the ‘Intended Target Units’ field matches the ‘Unit Connected’ field. If these fields do not match then you may have an incorrect upgrade file, check with Adder Technology Ltd before proceeding. Check also that the ‘New firmware version’ is greater than the ‘Current firmware version’.
- Commence the upgrade. To begin the upgrade process, click the Upload Now button. The progress will be shown within the dialog. Should you decide not to continue with the upload at any stage, click the Abort button; response to this is usually immediate, however, during an erase command, the upload will not be aborted until the erase is complete (this may take a few seconds).
The AdderView CATx IP models are upgraded via global connection (through the IP network port). Upgrades are digitally signed by Adder using a secure key. This prevents unauthorised or altered firmware images being downloaded into the AdderView CATx IP.
To upgrade AdderView CATx IP models
- Download the latest firmware revision for the AdderView CATx IP from the Adder website and decompress the download file. View the decompressed files and make a note of the name and location of the .bin file that was part of the download file collection.
- Make a global connection to the AdderView CATx IP unit and login as the admin user.
- Once logged in, click the Configure button in the top right corner of the window.
- Click the Unit Configuration button.
- Click the Advanced Unit Configuration button.
- Click the Upgrade Firmware button. The following dialog will be displayed:
- Click OK. The AdderView CATx IP is now ready to accept the upgrade files. Open your browser and log into the AdderView CATx IP using the IP address that was confirmed in the dialog. Once connected, the AdderView CATx IP will offer the following screen:
- Click the Browse button and locate the .bin upgrade file that you downloaded earlier. The AdderView CATx IP will show the following screen:
- Select which portion of the AdderView CATx IP that you wish to upgrade. Tick both options to upgrade the complete unit. When ready, click the Perform upgrade button. The upgrade will take place and its progress will be shown on screen.