This procedure allows the replacement of the first generation AIM servers with the next generation 1U-19inch rack mounted servers. A technology refresh has been carried out with new higher spec server components used and as such, the software on the unit is substantially different from the older system.
This process describes how to upgrade your system from the older generation to the newer generation with minimal downtime.
- The first generation AIM must be upgraded to or be running at v3.5 or above and the AdderLink Infinity endpoints must be at v3.3 or above.
- The upgrade only works if the first generation AIM is running an “Unlimited License”. If it does not – an upgrade will have to be acquired. – Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need an unlimited license with your unique product id code.
- Until told to do so, do not connect the new AIM to the same network as the existing AIM.
- Your new AIM server must be installed with V4.0 firmware and be fully factory reset.
- Make sure that your new AIM's license covers the number of endpoints (Transmitters and Receivers) on your system.
- Ensure your first generation AIM server version 3.5 or above is on the network.
- All AdderLink Infinity Endpoints must be online.
- Make a backup of the database. Navigate to Dashboard -> Settings -> Backups. In the Backup section at the top of the page, click the Backup Now button to download a copy of the database.
- If there is only one AIM server and is running as a solo machine, it must be promoted to be a Primary. Navigate to the Servers and click on the Manage icon. In the Configure Server page, change the role from Solo to Primary. Press Save.
- Navigate to Dashboard -> Settings -> Servers. Set a Require Authentication to Yes, enter a Cluster Password and press Save.
- Connect your new AIM server version 4.0 to the network. (Powered off)
- Add the new AIM server version 4.0 to the network with the original server and power it on.
- Navigate to 169.254.1.3 and Login as ‘admin’ (no password required)
- Click on the Servers tab. Click on the blue ‘configured’ link (circled in red)
- You are taken to the Servers > Configure Servers page. Press the migrate the 3.3 system button.
- The System Migration page will be displayed.
- Enter an IP Address that you wish to assign the new AIM.
- Ensure your chosen IP Address is different to your existing original AIM's IP Address and does not end with .254, as additonal backup AIM's will not be able to acquire the next IP address after this.
- Enter the cluster password that you entered into the original AIM. Note: The software does not validate the password before continuing. Make sure you enter the password correctly.
- Depending on the size of the original AIM's database, it can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes for the database to be synchronised.
- Flashing information Migration complete in green is displayed; process completed.
- This will result in the old AIM server automatically shutting itself down and the new AIM taking over.
- The old AIM server may still appear to be powered up but does not respond, power down the old AIM hardware.
- Sometimes the page times out before the migration is complete, if this happens - just reload the page.
- If at any stage you wish to revert to the old system - simply shut down the NEW AIM server, place the old system onto the network and power up.
- Once you set the new server to Primary or upgrade the firmware/software – the old server cannot be returned to the system without factory resetting all the endpoints.
- Click Servers tab. You may have to Login again as ‘admin’ (no password required)
- The new AIM must be promoted to be a Primary. Navigate to the Servers and click on the Manage icon. In the Configure Server page, change the role from Solo to Primary. Press Save.